Friday, January 11, 2013

Donald Trump Crowns Newly Appointed Miss USA 2012, Nana Meriwether


Donald Trump challenged his inner beauty queen to help crown the newly appointed Miss USA, Nana Meriwether, in New York on Wednesday (January 9). Meriwether, who was first runner-up at the 2012 competition, is taking over the duties after the former winner, Olivia Culpo, was named Miss Universe. It's pretty unique. I don't know, I don't think any Miss USA's have been crowned by Trump. So it's pretty neat. And I'm a middle child, I never get this attention, it's a very crazy day for me," said Meriwether who is representing the state of Maryland. The 27-year-old beauty, who was born in South Africa, posed for pictures with her parents after officially being crowned. After the unorthodox crowning ceremony Trump had nothing but praise for Meriwether. "It's just a great time and she's a fabulous person as you know. Nana Meriwether, who is a great athlete, a great student and she's going to be a great Miss USA," Trump told Reuters. This is the first time since 1997 that a Miss USA has won the Miss Universe title. Culpo, who is originally from Rhode Island and a college sophomore, said her parents initially didn't want her to compete in pageants, but now are in shock over her wins. "My first pageant was 15 months ago. So to be Miss Universe, honestly it's a little ridiculous to say to myself. But they are very proud and are happy that I did do what I wanted to do despite the fact that they didn't think it was a good idea at the time," explained Culpo. A new Miss USA will be crowned in June in Las Vegas.

No comments:

Post a Comment